I made a blended photo collage from my photographs of a hen’s feather and a white phalaenopsis orchid. The end design is abstract, although you can see the feather shape repeated three times in the center of the piece. I shifted the colors to get subtle golds and shades of blue.
I prepared a piece of lutradur for inkjet printing by coating it with Golden’s Digital Ground matte (see my posts about lutradur and digital ground), and printed the collage. I backed the print with thick Pellon interfacing, and sewed along some of the lines of the image.
This is the printed/quilted piece (it’s 5 by 7 inches):
This is a closeup of part of the lutradur print, to show the quilting:
I decided to finish the lutradur print by mounting it to a 9 by 12 inch canvas board. To enlarge the phal/feather image so it would fill the blank portions of the board, I printed segments of the image on Transfer Artist Paper (see my posts about TAP). I transferred the segments to the canvas board with my iron set on the cotton setting.
This is a closeup of one of the corners. The TAP transfer to the cotton board resulted in a pleasing texture, and the abstract nature of the design worked well with the transfer, I think.
When the weather permits, I will spray the piece with fixative (probably Golden’s new archival varnish because that was designed for use with digital grounds prints).
The end piece, with the lutradur adhered to the center of the canvas board, will look like this:
To hang, I will probably drill two small holes near the top of the piece and string with metal chain. Alternatively, I might put the piece into a frame. I finally decided how to hang the piece! I drilled two small holes near the top. I wanted to reinforce the holes, but normal eyelets aren’t long enough to go through the canvas board and grab onto the other side. The only grommets I could find were much too large for the effect I wanted. I finally found some slightly longer eyelets and set them. I debated stringing decorative chain or wire, but dug out some raw leather cord I have, and decided it worked well with the tone of the piece. I’m very happy with it now, see what you think.